Tuesday 9 September 2014

What Makes A Personal Style Blog?




 The word 'oversaturated' is thrown around a lot in the context of blogging. 

   Unfortunately, some believe that blogging has 'had it's day' because it's become 'mainstream' and large numbers of people now have blogs of their own; but if this is so, why are we still doing it? It's simply because it brings us enjoyment, entertainment and happiness. Blogging is a hobby that is enjoyed by many - so why decry it? I, personally, read blogs everyday, and I'm constantly subscribing to new blogs, commenting and sharing.

   I can totally understand that it can be hard to find your feet starting a new blog, especially when you see others with hundreds or thousands of followers - but I can't stress this enough: DO NOT let this put you off. There are always ways to learn, improve, be inspired and enjoy working your way up.

   If you're reading this, and you're starting (or thinking about starting) a personal style blog, here are a few tips that could help you understand the basics:



1. PERSONALITY

   Personality is key, hence the title: 'PERSONAL style blog'. Your readers want to relate to a human being, not a computer, so make them feel like you're talking to them face-to-face, rather than through a screen. If you want to reflect a fun, down-to-earth make your readers laugh with a witty pun or a bit of sarcasm. If you're aiming towards the professional tone of a high-fashion publication, keep your text clear and concise.

   Talk about subjects that YOU really want to talk about. Don't write about things just because everyone else is. If you're not interested in a post, your readers will sense it. This is where research comes in: read magazines, newspapers, other blogs and scour social media for up to date topics that interest you.


2. YOUR OWN STYLE

   If your main priority is OOTD (outfit of the day) posts, mirror your personality in your style. 

   Wear clothes that you'd wear in real life, not just for the sake of a post. I used to dress myself up, take photos of the outfit for a post, then change back into jeans and an oversized t-shirt - after a while, I could see that I was trying to portray a person other than who I really was. I would look through posts and think, "this isn't me".

   Now, I've refined my style, and I'm happy with each OOTD that I publish.


3. THEME

   For me, it's important to see a theme running through a blog. A theme creates cohesiveness, but it's also another way to allow your personality to become visual.

   Your theme is mainly communicated through your blog design and your photographs. So invest in good quality graphic design software such as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, or buy a blog template or theme from a designer such as Pipdig

   In terms of photography, most phone cameras have great pixel counts, for example the Sony Xperia Z1 has a 20.7 megapixel camera - perfect for taking snaps on the go. Or if you're really looking to invest in high quality photographs, a DSLR is the answer. I currently use a Canon 450d for all my OOTD posts, but I will be upgrading to a semi-professional DSLR, such as the Canon 70d, in the near future.



   Obviously, there are many elements involved in starting and maintaining a blog, but the fundamental component is to be happy with the content that you produce and the image that you convey!





No comments:

Post a Comment